Charities and voluntary organisations
Charities, voluntary and community organisation are probably the UK’s most diverse sector. From frontline services to research, international aid to grant making, they cover a huge variety of bases.
Run by IRM members working for charities or with the sector, the Charities SIG has an active events calendar and provides thought leadership with several topical publications targeted at the charity and voluntary sector.
The Charity Group has produced several publication series and standalone publications, some of which are accompanied by recorded presentations. Find out more about the Charities SIG
IRM free guidance for charities and voluntary organisations.
Know your risks and how to manage them
With funding constraints and rising user demand, risk management can inevitably become low priority, both operationally and strategically.
Our approach to risk management is what’s known as ‘enterprise wide’. That means we work for organisations of all types and sizes. We also encourage proportionality.
This helps you put the relevant level of resource into identifying your risks and managing them, without unnecessary ‘gold plating’.
- Risk Management for charities: getting started flyer
- Risk Management for charities: getting started guide
- Getting started - Video Presentation
- Getting Started - Risk Management For Charities - Risk assessment
- Getting Started - Risk treatment, monitoring and review
- Getting Started - Risk communication
- Getting Started - The Risk Management Framework
Getting Better with Risk Management
- Getting Better (2016)
- Getting Better Risk Maturity Framework
- Risk Management for charities: Getting better Video presentation
- Setting the risk appetite (2016) flyer
- Setting the risk appetite (2016) guide
- Risk Management for charities: Setting your risk appetite (2017) presentation
Risk and Regulation
- An introduction to understanding and managing regulatory risk
- Tool for providing assurance on regulatory compliance (2018)
Technology and cyber risk
- An introduction to emerging risks and how to identify them (2021)
- How to assess and treat emerging risks (2021)
- How to embed emerging risk identification and management (2021)
Going Further with Risk Management
Charities Group Newsletters:
Publications to download
IRM Charities Special Interest Group - Getting Started Guide
(Select the ‘Flip on short side’ option to print)
Risk management for charities
Getting started: supplementary guidance
Risk Culture: executive summary
Risk Appetite: executive summary