Environmental and Social Governance (ESG) Special Interest Group
Purpose and scope of the group
IRM ESG SIG definition of Environmental and Social Governance (ESG): the governance of purpose-driven organisations with the intention of fulfilling their social responsibilities in an ethical and sustainable manner.
The IRM Environmental & Social Governance interest group supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
The importance of Environmental and Social Governance is now recognised by organisations operating in the private, not-for-profit and public sectors. The purpose of this SIG is to address ESG matters taking a risk sector-wide and global governance perspective. The proposed IRM ESG SIG is needed to:
1) Provide a forum for the international IRM risk community to share knowledge and experience on ESG matters.
2) Coordinate the ESG activities already being undertaken by IRM members on behalf of the institute, i.e. governance conference, articles, thought leadership, webinars, international standards making, academic and professional body liaisons.
3) Inform other IRM Interest Groups of current ESG matters.
4) Gain recognition of the pivotal role the risk professional has in the ESG space.
5) Support the IRM to stand out as a leader in the field of ESG.
Aims and strategic goals
The priority is to set up this IRM committee to lead the institute's activities in relation to ESG. Activities planned are to:
1) Formally establish the committee and schedule quarterly meetings.
2) Organise a series of events for the international risk community to share knowledge and best practice, in the first instance, drawing on committee members' expertise in aspects.
3) Promote the role of the risk professional in the ESG space.
4) Disseminate key findings on ESG to other IRM groups.
5) Establish links with academic and industry experts.
Group Chair Anita Punwani was recently interviewed by the BBC on reputation risk, view the interview by clicking on the image below.
Anita Punwani CFIRM, Passion for promoting the role of risk management in ESG and achievement of the UN SDGs.
- IRM Chair, Environmental & Social Governance SIG. Former IRM Deputy Chair & Non-Executive Board Director. Interviewed by BBC & CNBC in raising public awareness of risk management during pandemic.
- Independent Risk Professional with experience in public, not-for-profit and private sectors, developing public-private partnerships as well as supplier chain relationships. Represented the UK and IRM in development of international governance standard, ISO 37000.
- Initiated framework for a standard in Modern Slavery. Involved in developing ESG standards. BSI Lead Auditor in Business Continuity Management. M_o_R Foundation.
- MSc in Global Governance & Ethics, UCL’s School of Public Policy, research areas: effectiveness of humanitarian aid and assistance, ethics of climate governance, social values, governance of not-for-profit organisations.
- IRM qualified. Led IRM education modules in business continuity, crises, resilience, future risks and risk treatment.
- Member of Chatham House and UNA-UK. Artwork selected by World Bank’s ‘Art of Resilience’ competition.
Dr. Abdul Mohib CMIRM, Passionate about effective leadership with expertise in risk, assurance, governance and internal controls.
- Group Head of Risk & Assurance, Peabody Trust.
- Experienced in leading and setting direction on risk management for a variety of matrix-based organizations of varying sizes from different sectors including one of UK’s top employers.
- Specialises in embedding the Three Lines of Defence model to ensure effective risk assurance and governance frameworks.
- A career focused on public protection spanning counter-terrorism, food safety, rail transport, public health, social housing.
- Active member of IRM. Member, Government Risk Improvement Group. Member, Deloitte’s Chief Risk Officers forum.
- BAME mentor in the global ‘INvolve’ mentoring programme.
- Post-doctoral scientific research based on sustainable crop protection, corporate business continuity, incidents management.
Alex Hindson CFIRM, Passionate about risk management and sustainability, thrives on leading change.
- IRM qualified and experienced Non-Executive Director with 13 years of not-for-profit sector experience.
- Former IRM Chair & Non-Executive Board Director.
- Chief Risk & Sustainability Officer at Argo Group.
- Solid track record in financial services. Experience in oversight of risk management, sustainability, capital modelling, compliance.
- Operating to highest ethical standards and presenting on difficult issues in a constructive manner to drive a change in culture.
- Special adviser to the ESG Foundation. Co-Chair, Risk Officer Sustainability Forum.
- Chair, ESG Working Group, Lloyd’s Market Association. Advisory Group Committee member, the Risk Coalition.
- Chief Risk & Sustainability Officer at Argo Group. The Argo Group supports the UN SDGs and has prioritised Goal 5: Gender equality, Goal 13: Climate action and Goal 11: Sustainable cities and communities. https://www.argolimited.com/about/corporate-responsibility/sustainable-development-goals/
Dorothy Maseke CMIRM, Passionate to create a positive impact in people’s lives and promote collective endeavours that bring people together – locally and globally.
- IRM Chair, Investment Committee. IRM Non-Executive Board Director. Co-founder IRM East Africa Regional Group.
- Heads up Risk & Compliance, ICEA LION Group, East Africa; spearheading ICEA LION to become signatory to and implement UNEP Principles of Sustainable Insurance.
- Named one of the ‘Top 40 Under 40 Women’ in Kenya in 2019. Board member of World Vision Kenya.
- IRM qualified risk professional. Diploma in Business Continuity.
- Certified in Anti-Money Laundering, Risk & Information Systems Controls, Engagement & Productivity Coaching. Certification, Sustainable Finance, University of Cambridge.
Lisa Khan CFIRM, passionate about having effective Governance frameworks in place.
Expertise with embedding what management in control really means and how effective risk management, controls and assurance are integral components with managing the business and with sustaining its performance.
Experience with improving the governance assurance frameworks, particularly around financial crime systems and controls.
Specialises with assessing the effectiveness of operational controls and processes in place to manage the risks related to compliance with policies, compliance’s adherence to mandated/regulatory requirements (e.g. Financial Crime,
Regulatory Reporting) and other (non-regulatory) Business or Functional processes and controls.
Active member of the IRM, member of the Energy SIG. IRM qualified risk professional.
My drive for doing things “first time right,” is a key business discipline underpinned by the core values acquired from my IRM studies and reflected in my current role.
Rahat Latif MIRM, is internationally experienced, with a rich reputation in developing and implementing risk, governance, opportunity and resilience frameworks. Keen interest in developing the profession of risk management & resilience and facilitating change for the better.
- IRM Board Member (NED)
- Chair of the IRM Interest Group Committee
- IRM Diploma Holder
- Mark Butterworth Award from the Institute of Risk Management for development of the profession in the Middle East
- CEO Award for Excellence (Qatargas)
Anita Bhimani CertIRM, Passion for promoting importance of education and knowledge to increase one's standard of living in women in developing countries. Also active in preserving wildlife and supporting injured animal rehabilitation back into the wild.
- Experienced Head of Risk and Controls leader specialising in first line of defence with audit experience.
- Specialism in creating and embedding proportionate governance, quality, conduct and risk frameworks across Middle East, Europe, Asia, Africa and UK geographies.
- Supporting and leading teams across continents to adopt a learning mindset and continuous improvement in personal and professional lives.
- Passionate about fair customer outcomes, risk-based decision making and regulatory framework sustainability ensuring compliant, sustainable and value driven outcomes.
- IRM and CII qualified risk professional with Post Graduate in Change Management.
By Alex Hindson, Chief Risk & Sustainablility Officer. Argo Group
Enterprise Risk articles
Enterprise Risk, p30.
By Anita Punwani CFIRM
By Anita Punwani CFIRM
The Risk Coalition
By Alex Hindson CFIRM
The ESG Foundation
By Alex Hindson
ESG Group perspectives: Perspectives on Social Responsibilities
|Date:||Thursday 26th May 2022|
|Time:||11.00 - 12.00 BST (Open from 10.50)|
Click here to view Albert Weale's slides
Click here to view David Adamson slides
ESG Group perspectives: sustainable development and investment
|Date:||Thursday 3rd March 2022|
|Time:||11.00 - 12.00 GMT (Open from 10.50)|
An international perspective on ESG (Environmental Social Governance) risk
|Date:||Tuesday 15th February 2022|
|Time:||11.00 - 12.00 GMT (Open from 10.50)|