Pakistan Regional Group
Purpose of the group
Pakistan is a developing country and as per some studies is identified as one of the Next Eleven countries having a high potential of becoming, along with the BRICS countries, among the world's largest economies in the 21st century. Moving from essentially an agrarian based economy to a services and manufacturing driven economy, there is growing awareness amongst the businesses about the importance of risk management and risk based decision making. The same has also been recognized at the regulatory level, with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan assigning the overall responsibility for governance of the company’s risk to the Board via Listed Companies Code of Corporate Governance Regulations 2017.
Acknowledging this need, our objective with regard to new regional group is to provide a platform for:
1. Existing members and aspiring members to network, share ideas and best practices;
2. Spreading awareness amongst the local businesses regarding the value that structured ERM could add to their portfolio;
3. Spreading awareness among young professionals regarding Risk Management as a career choice;
4. Students and young professionals to learn about IRM trainings, available courses and certifications;
5. Guiding the aspirants taking IRM courses and certificates.
Aims and Objectives
The key priorities of the IRM Pakistan – Regional Group would be as follows:
• To act as an expert group on ERM for local businesses and advise them on how to adopt structured ERM processes and practices within their organizations for value maximization;
• To create a platform for discussion for members, prospective memberships including Affiliate and Technical for professionals interested in the field of risk management;
• To act as a counseling forum for students/young professionals interested in advancing their career in risk management;
• To act as a bridge between IRM and local populace with regards to training and certifications offered by IRM.
The planned activities of the Group will be tailored as per the need/requirement of the members but would tentatively comprise of the following:
• Launch of IRM Pakistan, inviting existing IRM Members as well as risk professionals from different industries, local industry/business owners;
• Periodic meet-up of members to discuss, share and apprise each other of the new ideas and challenges encountered by them with regard to risk management;
• Quarterly/semi-annual workshops/lectures on topics related to ERM for members;
• Annual Risk Conference inviting guest speakers from IRM, other IRM Groups, risk professionals from different industries, local industry/business owners and academics, discussing new trends and challenges in risk management;
• Linkedin Group to be created to bring together existing and future members;
• Periodic newsletter.
Launch of IRM Regional Group Pakistan and 1st National Risk Management Conference
The first major activity for the group is the formal launch of IRM Pakistan followed by the first National Risk Management Conference, scheduled for 10th March 2020 at Serena Hotel, Islamabad. The event will witness participation from major commercial sectors of the country and will be attended by business leaders, risk professionals, regulators, academics and concerned government representatives. The event is sponsored by Mari Petroleum Company Limited.
We are pleased to confirm that Mr Rahat Latif, IRM Regional Chair and Board Member, will be representing IRM and will officiate the launch ceremony.
The launch will also be attended by senior government officials.
The first National Risk Management Conference will comprise of two key note addresses and two panel discussions.
The topics for the key note addresses are:
- Global risk management trends and practices
- Risk management in the local context
The panel discussions will be centered around the below themes:
- Integrating Risk Management with Strategic Decision Making
- Weathering the Storm: Resilience through better Risk Management
09.45 - 10.15 Arrival of guests and networking
10.15 - 10.30 Arrival of Chief Guest
10.30 - 10.40 Recitation of the Holy Quaran, National Anthem, HSE briefing
10.40 - 10.50 Opening session
10.50 - 11.00 Opening remarks by Ms Sohab Mushtaq IRMCert, IRM Pakistan group chair
11.00 - 11.15 Address by Lt Gen (R) Ishfaq Nadeem Ahmad, MD Mari Petroleum Company Limited
11.15 - 11.30 Talk by Mr Rahat Latif, IRM board member and Chair of Special & Regional Interest Groups
11.30 - 11.45 Offical launch of the group and address by Chief Guest
11.45 - 12.15 Tea break and networking session
12.15 - 12.20 Risk management conference opening
12.20 - 13.00 Keynote addresses: Global risk management trends and practices, Risk management in the local context
13.00 - 13.45 Panel discussion: Integrating risk management with strategic decision making
13.45 - 14.30 Panel discussion: Weathering the storm: resilience through better risk management
14.30 Closing ceremony followed by lunch
Tuesday 10 March 2020
09:45 - 14:30
Islamabad Serena Hotel, Khayaban-e-Suhrwardy, opposite Convention Centre، G-5/1 G-5, Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory 44000, Pakistan
Click here to book
This event is sponsored by Mari Petroleum Company Limited