Make a difference - get involved with IRM
A world of opportunities
The Institute of Risk Management is a global professional community. Across the world, members work together in many ways to help deliver additional benefits to all our members. Find out more about how you can get involved and help shape the future of risk management.
“Helping to contribute to IRM’s progress and growth in Africa has been hugely enjoyable. I’ve gained great satisfaction from promoting risk management in Africa and positioning IRM as the place to go for education and skills training and qualifications. I’d encourage members to think about what they can do to help shape IRM’s future – they’ll get a lot out of it.”
Joachim Adenusi, CFIRM
Evolving risks bring new threats and opportunities. IRM members can help shape the way the world responds. Whether contributing to new guidance or explaining risk to the media, our members support our work to help organisations stay ahead of their risks.
Active IRM members give our work a fresh perspective and their specialist knowledge is invaluable when producing new guidance. They help ensure we consistently set the highest standards for risk professionals worldwide. In turn, members benefit from being part of an active, expert community, meeting peers, exchanging ideas and improving their own knowledge and networks. Many of our active members are supported by their employers, who welcome the additional knowledge and contacts their work with us brings.
Being part of the editorial group producing the last two IRM publications has been a fascinating experience. Working with experts with new skills and talents has been stimulating and rewarding and I’m proud of the end results and their impact on the wider world of risk. What I have received back in terms of enhanced learning has been hugely satisfying.”
Peter Neville Lewis, MIRM
Just some of the ways you can get involved
- Get involved with your local Regional or Special Interest Group and help to organise networking events
- Become an IRM examiner or module coach [EXAMINERS WANTED]
- Join an IRM committee [COMMITTEE VACANCIES]
- Help a Special Interest Group produce new research
- Become a technical working group member and help write new practitioner guidance
- Become an IRM spokesperson and explain risk to the business media – we get asked for comments on everything from cyber and catastrophes to political risk and pandemics
- Set up a new Regional Group as a risk management hub in your area or country
- Write a book review to tell other members which books on risk are worth reading
- Share your specialist knowledge by offering to become a speaker at our events
- Present a webinar for our global audience of students
- Help organise IRM’s flagship events
These are some examples of how members can get involved. If you want to know more then please let us know.
+44 (0) 20 7709 4125
Chairing the Charities SIG has really developed my leadership skills and I’ve got masses out of helping so many charities get to grips with their risk challenges. I’ve spoken at sector events, written articles for sector magazines and run workshops across the country. The satisfaction of getting our message out there is immense and it’s great to have those moments when you just know you’ve helped people and made a difference. “
Alyson Pepperill, FIRM
What it takes to make a difference
The qualities and skills you need as an active member will obviously depend on what you’d like to do. Devising and delivering a webinar, for example, needs strong presentation skills and a good eye for what’s new in risk management. Whatever activity you’re interested in we need members who:
- Have the ability to listen and respect other viewpoints, skills and expertise
- Are constructive and solutions-focused within existing resources
- Support all decisions made by due process
- Respect and work collaboratively with our Executive Team
- Put what’s good for IRM and its members at the heart of their activity
- Are reliable and deliver on their commitments