Principal Adviser – Risk
Paddington, London, UK
|| Excellent salary (dependent on existing) + outstanding benefits package
Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group headquartered in the UK. Rio Tinto's business is in finding, mining and processing mineral resources. Major products are aluminium, copper, diamonds, energy (coal and uranium), gold, industrial minerals (borax, titanium dioxide, salt) and iron ore.
Within Rio Tinto the Risk department has a fundamental role in providing strategic risk leadership and support to the Group, Business Units and Projects.
A new opportunity within the organisation has been created in order to provide direction and day-to-day management of “RioRisk”, which is the Group’s ERM tool for the collection, management and reporting of risk.
The overriding accountability is for the smooth and efficient running of the RioRisk System, to ensure that the prime objectives of the system are met and that risk data is managed effectively. This will be achieved through the following specific management responsibilities:
- Management of the “RioRisk” deployment strategy
- Ensuring the integrity of the Group’s risk data, especially through training
- Risk reporting to the Group’s executive and senior management
- Directing design of systems to interrogate risk data for emerging and aggregated risk
- Identification of process improvements; development and execution of plans to achieve them
You will interact right across the Group structure on a regular and frequent basis. Influencing of senior leadership teams in Business Units, Projects and Functions is required to ensure that the system operates efficiently and also to identify improvement needs.
A key aspect of the role will be to liaise externally to ensure that Rio Tinto identifies and adopts leading practice that emerges in other companies, industries and disciplines.
- You will be of graduate calibre; preferably with membership/certification within relevant risk bodies such as the IRM in the UK.
- A demonstrable track record within an operational or design role in a senior risk capacity is a pre-requisite.
- Your project management skills will be of the highest calibre as you will need to coordinate with a multitude of individuals both internally and externally to ensure the smooth running of the RioRisk system.
- You will possess communication skills of the highest level as well as strong persuasive skills in order to gain consensus amongst all the relevant stake holders involved in decision-making.
- Training and experience in the use of the software Active Risk Manager will be required. A candidate with this or comparable experience would be in an advantageous position.
Shortlisting will begin immediately but the position will remain open until filled.